Saturday, September 15, 2012

Clinical's

This past week I had my VERY first ever clinical expierence. I went to Lakeview Hospital in Bountiful. Not too horrible of a drive, in fact the mornig is quite peaceful. The drive home...Not so much. My first day of clinicals wasn't the best. My nurse barely spoke to me. I felt so out of place and lost. I felt like an intrusion. I felt..terrible. That was my morning. In the afternoon I got to go watch a Tunnel Dialysis Catheter Placement. Much more interesting, AND the nurses spoke to me trying to teach what and why they were doing things. One nurse asked me to "Spike the Bag", which of coarse I'm not able to do because I have no IV training, but I thought that was pretty neat.. ha ha spike the bag. I'm learning cool little lingo. Ya know, real nursing stuff. ha ha. The next day I was sent to Same Day Surgery. I went through the entire day with one patient through admitting, surgery, PACU, and discharge. No it wasn't the most exciting procedure, but for the patient having a breast biopsy it was. I kept in mind my patient and her care, weather it was a not so cool procedure or an evasive procedure, it did not matter. What mattered was my patient. Every nurse walked and talked me through each step. PACU was the most interesting for me because it was the nurse doing everything she could to get MY patient's pain to a tolorable level for her. Comfort. Care. Concern. I will be forever changed now that I am in nursing school. Who wouldn't be. But I get teary eyed because I am finally here. Yes let's not fool ourselves, it is so hard and I haven't found what works for me as far as studying goes but I'm not alone either. All I can do is my best, yes sometimes I can even improve that, but at least I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment